Monday, June 13, 2011

Raising the Cup

The greatest trophy in sports will be in the building in Boston tonight. And the hometeam fans want nothing more than to NOT see it carried out onto the ice, because that means their Bruins will have forced a game 7 in Vancouver on Wednesday.
Even if the worst does come about however, I would implore those in attendance to stick around to watch the presentation of the Cup to the Canucks.

It is, without a doubt, my favorite moment in all of sports. It is what I missed most when the league was locked out. It is like News Years Eve for my hockey fandom each year when a group of worn down bearded guys hoist the Holy Chalice toward the heavens, skating on air in a state of overjoyed mass hysteria.

The Winter Classic has turned into a great event, the Winter Olympics gives me goose bumps, the trade deadline and July 1st free agency are tense days of cyber squatting as the league morphs and transforms itself upon a blank canvas. But the ultimate moment for me is still seeing a team win Lord Stanley's Cup. Its what this sport is all about, the Alpha and Omega of Ice Hockey.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I was at an elimination game once, but they put the Cup back in the case. As a Penguins fan, I was happy, but it would have been cool to see it. That is something I would like to see before I leave this Earth.

    ReplyDelete