Saturday, April 30, 2011

Semifinal update

The conference semifinals are in full force after two nights of action Thursday and Friday.
Vancouver opened up the second round Thursday with a 1-0 victory over Nashville. Roberto Luongo stymied the Predators' offense, and the Canucks are off to a decent start. I would like to see them score more, although this series doesn't have track-meet potential.
In Friday's action, Tampa Bay stunned Washington, 3-2, and San Jose edge Detroit, 2-1, in overtime.
Both of these results surprised me. I don't think either will be a sweep, but I see the Capitals and the Red Wings winning both series rather easily.
The Lightning came to play. They turned the game on Washington. It has always been a question of whether the Capitals can win these types of games. I still believe they will win the series in six. This served as a wake-up call.
I have been singing the praises of Detroit since the playoffs started. I still pick the Red Wings to go to the Cup. How they respond from this loss will tell the story.
Jimmy Howard was great. I question whether he can do it come playoff time, and he was fabulous Friday. Detroit gave up some uncharacteristic chances. Howard also took a dumb penalty after getting a snow shower from Joe Pavalski.
Jimmy, why do that? Let your teammates stick up for you.
Philadelphia and Boston open today in Philly, while Vancouver and Nashville will play Game 2. I'm going with the Flyers and the Canucks.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment