Sunday, April 10, 2011

First-round picks for the Western Conference

After a 5-3 loss to Minnesota Sunday, Dallas will be watching the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs. It was a good effort by the Stars to try and get back in the race, but the defending champs, the Chicago Blackhawks, will have the opportunity to defend their championship.
The 1-8 matchup in the West will be Vancouver-Chicago. I know this is a long shot, although I believe the Jonathan Toews and Co. will top the Canucks in seven. Vancouver is a talented team, won the Presidents' Trophy and has been in the playoffs before, but I like the Hawks.
They have been playing well, and know what it's like to win the Cup.
San Jose meets Los Angeles in a 2-7 matchup. The Sharks will advance to the second round in five games. I don't see this series as being too exciting. I like the Kings, and they have a good nucleus, although they're not ready to advance just yet.
Detroit, who is always in the mix, will take on Phoenix and advance to the West semis in six games. The Red Wings have talent, experience and the desire to win. Jimmy Howard may be inexperienced compared to most of his teammates, but he is ready to step up.
I believe Detroit has incentive to win for Nic Lidstrom, who has announced he will retire at the end of the season. It would great for Lidstrom to go out on top.
The Coyotes played the Red Wings tough last season, but I think the Wings will get by them again.
Anaheim and Nashville meet in a 4-5 matchup. I like the Ducks in this one. I predict a sweep in this series.
I have always enjoyed the Ducks' gritty style of play, and Corey Perry is sure to light the lamp once or twice in this series.
So, there you have it. I like the Blackhawks over the Canucks, the Sharks over the Kings. the Red Wings over the Coyotes and the Ducks to beat the Predators in the first round.
I will update this as the playoffs go along.

2 comments:

  1. Vancouver doesn't have the muscle. Hawks in 6
    Call me crazy Kings in 7
    I also say wings in 6
    Ducks in 6

    Wings vs Pens 2011 tie breaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to pick any further than the first round.

    ReplyDelete