Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A royal collapse

The Los Angeles Kings became just the fourth team in playoff history to blow a four-game lead in losing Game 3 to the San Jose Sharks, 6-5, in overtime.
The Kings jumped out with two goals, 13 seconds apart in the first period. They added another at 18:22 of the first to take a 3-0 lead.
When Brad Richardson scored for LA 44 seconds into the second, Antti Niemi gave way for Antero Nittymaki.
At that point, I was considering changing the channel and watching some NBA basketball. I'm glad I didn't.
The Sharks got on the board when Patrick Marleau scored on a tip-in at 3:08. I figured, no biggie, the Kings still have it.
Ryane Clowe and Logan Couture added goals at 6:53 and 13:32 to cut the lead to 4-3. Clowe's goal was on the power play.
Ryan Smith scored 15 second later for Los Angeles, but I knew that the game wasn't over.
However, being the dumby that I am, I flipped over to the NBA game. When I came back to it, I saw it was 5-4 LA. Clowe scored his second goal.
Joe Pavelski tied the game at 5 with 31 seconds remaining in the period. Remarkable.
The Sharks scored five goals in the second period.
Ironically, no goals were scored in the third, and the game went into overtime.
I was just settling in with my popcorn when Devin Setoguchi took a pass from Marleau and scored on a wrist shot off a 3-on-2 rush to finish a remarkable rally for the Sharks at 3:09 of overtime.
I really thought the game would last longer due to the conservative approach teams take in OT, however it was only fitting for San Jose.
I don't know what happened to the Kings. They didn't appear to take the foot off the gas. Or maybe they did. I believe psychology plays a big part in sports. Yes, they're amazing athletes, but they're also human. Whatever it was, LA will not recover. It's over.
For those of you who have jobs in the morning, the game was over around 1:30 EST, the NHL Network will replay it at 2 p.m., but you don't need that, just read this.

2 comments:

  1. What is an "NBA game?" I've never heard of such a thing. It's Hockey PLAYOFFS!!!!!! I watched 4 games last night at the bar, two went into OT!

    Go Wings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, but I'm a sports advocate. I watch them all.

    ReplyDelete