Tuesday, May 24, 2011

NHL conference finals update

Tim Thomas put his stick where his mouth was and led Boston to a 3-1 victory over Tampa Bay in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals Monday in Boston.
Thomas made the save of the playoffs with the Bruins up 2-1 when he was clearly beaten, but got back to stop Steve Downie with about 11 minutes left.
Thomas said he was a tad lucky, but I'll say it was skill.
The Bruins goalie stated to Pierre McGuire after the game that his words were taken out of context when he guarenteed Boston would win the series. I don't know about that. Just don't say things like that, and you won't have to worry about it. I can't find fault when members of the media print, tape or discuss certain things. The guarantee is getting old, though.
These guys are professionals, but so are the writers and announcers. A good journalist will use those quotes in his/her story, or hear from their editor. I'm speaking from experience. Maybe you look sleazy, but it's the nature of the business. That's just how it goes. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox. Back to the game.
I won't count out the Lightning just yet. I've predicted them to lose in the first two series, and they proved me wrong. I had them beating Boston, but I don't know now. We'll see.
I don't understand starting Mike Smith in favor of Dwayne Roloson. Maybe if Tampa Bay had lost Game 4. Smith played well, and I don't think he had much to do with the loss. The Bruins' goals were well placed and I doubt it would have made much difference if Roloson was in goal. I just don't get the change in Game 5 of the conference finals.
I will give the edge to Boston in Game 6. Thomas will make just enough saves for a 3-2 Bruins' win.
As for the Western Conference finals, Vancouver has been the better team all series long, and will win Game 5 tonight, 4-2.
The Sedin twins are playing great, Ryan Kesler is the best two-way center in the game, and Roberto Luongo is playing like a Vezina finalist.
San Jose has played beyond expectations in these playoffs for the first time in its existence, but the Sharks will be hitting the links tomorrow.
Enjoy the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment